Creating, promoting and
managing your site
Your account comes with a comprehensive
suite of web tools that will help you create,
promote and manage your sites:
Before you pay a fortune to
a web design studio or waste hours making
a nice-looking web site in FrontPage, consider
our online site builder that will create you
a professional website in a matter of minutes
and post it to your directory on the server.
To start SiteStudio, click the
Then follow the on-screen instructions.
So your site is up and running?
Help others find it among infinite pages of
the Internet! Register it with major search
To start the Searh Engine
Submit utility, click the Submit URL
icon. On the page that appears, check the
engines to register the site with and fill
in the following fields:
- Domain to submit: select the
site you would like to be indexed.
- Contact Email: most search engines
require a contact e-mail address.
- Key Words: some search engines
provide the possibility for entering additional
keywords your site can be searched by.
- Description: this text will show
to Internet users as a description of
your site in the list of search results.
- Time-out: this is the time you
allow for registering one site with all
search engines. If this period is too
short, the site will get registered with
only a few search engines.
Next, click Submit. Be
patient while the server processes your request.
Avoid submitting a large number of
web sites at a time, or the browser
will time out before the program has
You may have to wait a week
or more before some search engines start showing
the sites in search results.
WebShell allows you to copy,
move, delete, and rename files and directories
in your home directory on the server. Also,
you can use it to upload, download, compress
and decompress files as well as preview them
in the browser.
Another feature of WebShell allows you to
password protect your directories.
To launch WebShell, click the
File Manager icon.
Information about the operation
of your site is critical for decision-making.
To obtain this information, you need to analyze
statistics data that is written to log files
in your home directory on the server:
- Error log - stores data about errors
generated by the server (e.g. Page Not
Found error) or by your CGI scripts;
- Transfer log - stores combined data
about every visit to your site, including:
- Remote host IP (i.e. visitor's IP);
- Time of request (i.e. when visitor requested
- First line of request;
- Error generated by request, if any;
- Size of message sent in response to
- Referrer (i.e. from which page visitor
- Agent ID (i.e. type of browser or another
agent and related information, such as
user's OS, etc.) ;
- Referrer log - stores the list of URLs
from which visitors are referred to your
- Agent log - stores data about agents
used to enter the site -- such as browsers
or any other Internet-based software --
and all related data.
To enable or disable writing
log files, do the following:
- Click the Web Options icon on
your control panel home page
- Select the Domain name you need
- On the page that shows, scroll down
to the Settings section and click
the ON/OFF icon next to the log
the log files records, do the following:
- Click the Web Options icon on
your control panel home page.
- Choose the necessary domain
- Scroll down to Log files and click the
View icon next to it.
- List of log files shows.
- Click the necessary file and all its
records will show.
Note: Entering end in the
Line Number field will show a list
of records from the tail of a logfile.
The statistics data in the log
files is difficult to read. Web analyzers
will read log files to produce visual reports
in HTML format for viewing through a browser.
To enable these analyzers and
view statistics reports for your sites, do
- Click the Stats icon to go to
the Statistics page.
- Enable ModLogAn or Analyzer for this
- Click the Apply link on the right
of this domain.
- Click the View icon to see your
This net troubleshooting tool
allows you to ping any Internet host from
your hosting server. In other words, you can
use this tool to determine if a host is reachable
and how long it takes for the signal to go
all the way through.
To launch the Reverse Traceroute
tool, do the following:
- On your control panel home page, click
the Reverse Traceroute icon.
- In the form that appears, enter the
host name or the IP address of the server
you would like to ping:
Select the timout period.
If you see the connection is slow, select
a bigger period.
Click Trace and
wait for the result. The next page will
show all the hosts that were passed to
reach the target server.