| Fast & friendly assistance
|Frequently Asked Questions
Revised: Thursday 21 October 2004
- 1. General Questions
- 2. Web
- 3. Mail
- 4. Domain Name
- 5. FTP
- 6. Troubleshooting
1. General Questions
- 1.1. How do I change
my billing information?
- Go to
Billing->Billing Info menu, and click
Change Billing Info button.
- 1.2. How do I change
my contact information?
- Go to
Acct. Preferences->Contact Info and
edit your contact information.
- 1.3. Can I accept credit
card on my site? Will it be secure?
- Yes, H-Sphere supports secure transaction protocol,
such as SSL.
- 1.4. What is SSL?
- The SSL security protocol provides data encryption,
server authentication, message integrity, and optional
client authentication for a TCP/IP connection. Because
SSL is built into all major browsers and web servers,
simply installing a digital certificate turns on their
- 1.5. I lost my password,
what should I do?
- Go to the control panel site. Click on the link "forgot
your password" right under the login box, and follow the
- 1.6. What happens if
I exceed my data transfer limit?
- Any data transfer in excess of plan threshold will be
charged at the end of the billing period.
- 1.7. Can I purchase
additional disk space?
- Additional disk space can be purchased through H-Sphere.
- 1.8. What happens if
I purchase additional products in the middle of the month?
- Any additional resource purchases will be pro-rated
accordingly. The charge will be calculated based on the
date when the resource was purchase to the end of the
- 1.9. How do I open
- You need to log into your control panel first, then
click the SiteStudio icon.
- 2.1. How do I disable directory listings?
- To disable directory listing (directory Indexes):
- Log into your control panel.
- Click the Web Options link.
- In the Settings field select Disabled
for the Indexes setting.
- Click Submit.
- Click the Apply link to restart Apache with
the new settings.
- 3.1. I have difficulties in retrieving
mail using Netscape. I can't log into my mail account
because the account user name now takes the form of the
full e-mail address.
- Write mail server login name in the Netscape preferences
with the % character instead of the @ sign, e.g. login:
- 3.2. How do I pop in to pick up my
virtual domain email?
- Virtual domain users need to use the following format
for thier user name when popping in:
Eudora might require the following syntax:
Microsoft clients may take the following syntax:
If you don't include the %virtual_domain_name, vpopmail
will assume it is either a /etc/passwd user or a vpop
user in ~vpopmail/users or configured with "default domain".
- 3.3. I can't send mail with Outlook
Express. I get a rcpthosts error.
- Before you can send email using your smtp server you
need to set up outlook express to download email from
the same mail server using POP3. When the POP3 box is
checked, you can send emails within the next 15-30 minutes.
- 3.4. How do I get FormMail working?
- It's a perl script. You need to add .pl as extention
for CGI. You can find it on the web options page.
4. Domain Name
- 4.1. What is a domain name?
- Domain names are the familiar, easy to remember names
for computers on the Internet (such as internic.net).
They correspond to a series of numbers (called Internet
Protocol numbers) that serve as routing addresses on the
Internet. Domain names are used generally as a convenient
way of locating information and reaching others on the
- 4.2. What does "register a
domain name" mean?
- The Internet domain name system (DNS) consists of a
directory, organized hierarchically, of all the domain
names and their corresponding computers registered to
particular companies and persons using the Internet. When
you register a domain name, it will be associated with
the computer on the Internet you designate during the
period the registration is in effect.
- 4.3. How can I get a domain
name in .com, .net or .org?
- Visit our specialised domain name website www.zanynames.com
which provides an easy way to register global top-level
domains (.com, .net, .org,. .biz, .info) and a wide range
of country specific domains.
- 4.4. How much does a domain
name registration name cost?
- Prices vary depending on the type of domain required
and the amount of years you are applying for, please visit
for full pricing details.
- 4.5. How long does it take
to register or transfer a domain name?
- It will take you just a few minutes to register a domain,
but it might not be available on the Internet for up to
48 hours. This is due to the fact that Internet DNS databases
are updated only once a day, causing the delay.
- 4.6. What is a stopgap domain?
- A stopgap domain allows to create hosting if you don`t
have any domain name. If you register with a stopgap domain,
you will get a domain name like "loginname.u1.your-base-domain".
You can create your own web-site and access it with either
the IP (if the IP is dedicated) or the above domain name.
This kind of domain doesn`t have any registration records
in the DNS.
- 5.1. Anonymous FTP users don't see
the content of my directory.
- Anonymous FTP users can't enter your root directory.
They can enter only the directory you dedicated for anonymous
- 5.2. How come my virtual FTP users
can browse my root directory?
- Your virtual FTP users can have access to more than
one virtual FTP directory, so you need to allow them to
enter the root dir. You can use FTP subaccounts to restrict
their access to only one directory.
- 6.1. When I'm trying to
connect to my account using FTP, the system doesn't respond
for some time and then logs out with an error.
- Use FTP active mode (disable passive). It is in your
computer's FTP configuration.
- 6.2. I am getting errors
- Try switching it off and back on.
- 6.3. My webalizer doesn't
work. What's the problem?
- One possible reason can be that you are approaching
your disk quota. Webalizer needs at least 2 MB unused
disk space to function properly.
- 6.4. The online file browser
shows the zips as compressed files and offers to decompress
them, but fails to do it.
- WebShell can decompress only those files that are located
inside the /usr/local/bin directory. If it's not there,
just create a link.
- 6.5. I get "Failed to
add new resource over the hard credit" message when I'm
trying to create a new resource.
- This means you have reached your Credit Limit. For example,
you've used all your money on your balance if you pay
by check, or your credit card expired/was broken and failed
to be charged. In this case you'll still be able to run
your hosting account (with recurrent and extra usage payment
accrued), but you won't be able to create any new resource
(neither paid nor free).